California hummus is green, herby, but also has that warm nourishment that comes from chickpeas. It doesn't feel as heavy as a typical hummus, but it still carries its weight as a tasty dip at your next event, or mixed with chicken salad. Nom nom!
Serves 4 as a side dish
1 16 oz can chickpeas (garbanzos)
2/3 cup chopped cilantro (stems okay)
1/3 cup chopped parsley (stems okay)
1 jalapeno, chopped (seeds optional)
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- In a large bowl, combine the chickpeas, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, and spices.
- Using a hand blender or food processor, add half the olive oil and pulse to blend. continue adding olive oil as needed to get the desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Serve with carrot chips, celery, pita chips, over grilled chicken, with falafel, wrapped in an omelette...
- Optional add ins can include red pepper, spinach, cheeses - go crazy.