Welcome to the Chic-Peas Kitchen!



We're two best friends, Kelly and Suanne, who love to cook! We have a passion for fresh food, complex flavors, and saving time. We'll share with you what's for dinner (really!) as well as how we made it and how we can make it better.

Jump in and learn with us!

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

(Very!) Spicy Coffee Chicken Curry


I've had a lot of family functions lately, so it's been a while since I've cooked in my own kitchen. Tonight, however, I had an abundance of time and creativity (and some new coffee), so I decided to experiment with what was in my kitchen.

I started with just the spicy coffee-roasted chicken and I will definitely make it again. It is fantastic on its own. The coffee is actually a pretty subtle flavor; it's not overpowering at all. I see serving it maybe with some couscous and zucchini. Mmm!

But I've been craving Thai food lately, which became obvious as I cooked. I found a sort of curry evolving and I just ran with it. Mmmm!

Ingredients:
  • 2 chicken thighs (approx. 1/2 lbs.)
  • kosher salt
  • 2 tbs. Sriracha hot sauce
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 cup strongly brewed coffee, room temperature
  • 1 clove of garlic, smashed
  • 1/4 cup of corn
  • 1/4 cup of peas (I don’t really like peas. I’ll probably use a different veggie next time.)
  • 1 tbs. lime juice (preferably freshly squeezed)
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
  • 1 tsp. curry powder
  • 1/2 cup (approx.) udon noodles
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Season the chicken with salt.
  3. Combine the Sriracha, cinnamon, and ginger. Generously rub into chicken and marinate for twenty minutes.
  4. Place chicken in a baking dish. Pour coffee over the top of the chicken to coat, letting it collect in the bottom. (Don’t submerse the chicken. The coffee should cover no more than the bottom 1/3 to 1/2 of the chicken.)
  5. Cover tightly with foil and bake for about forty-five minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
  6. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside to rest. (Reserve leftover coffee/chicken juice mixture.)
  7. Saute garlic in a splash of oil for a minute or so, then toss in corn and peas.
  8. Once veggies are hot, pour in the leftover coffee mixture and lime juice to deglaze the pan and let it reduce to about half.
  9. Shred chicken and add to pan.
  10. Add coconut milk, coconut, curry powder, and udon noodles and simmer until liquid thickens and noodles are hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a tip for good service!

Followers