Welcome to the Chic-Peas Kitchen!



We're two best friends, Kelly and Suanne, who love to cook! We have a passion for fresh food, complex flavors, and saving time. We'll share with you what's for dinner (really!) as well as how we made it and how we can make it better.

Jump in and learn with us!

Friday, January 21, 2011

Sweet Roasted Pecans

I've been on a big pecan kick lately: Several weeks ago, our family in Oklahoma sent my mom several pounds of freshly picked nuts from a relative's pecan orchard. (Yum!) So my awesome mom passed along quite a large portion to me and I've been experimenting with them. I first made this recipe a few weeks ago, but it turned out so good that I've made it several times since.

** Note: The main flavor in this recipe comes from garam masala, which is an Indian spice blend. I found it in my local Indian supermarket, but you can also order it online or substitute cinnamon to taste. I found this site which does a good job of explaining both what garam masala is and how to use it.

Sweet Roasted Pecans

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbs. butter
  • 1.5 tbs. honey
  • 1/2 tbs. vanilla extract
  • 2 cups (approx.) pecans
  • 1/2 tsp. garam masala
  • Kosher salt, to taste (I think I used just a few heavy pinches.)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Melt butter in a large, microwave-safe bowl.
  3. Using a spatula, mix the honey and vanilla into the melted butter. (Hint: Use a silicone spatula, as this will get a bit sticky.)
  4. Add the pecans to the bowl and toss to coat thoroughly.
  5. Sprinkle the spices over the nuts, then toss again to coat.
  6. Spread the nuts in a single layer on a foil-lined sheet pan and place in oven for 7 - 10 minutes. **Don't walk away from them; check them often. You'll be able to smell when they're done.**
  7. Remove the tray to a cooling rack and use the spatula to move the pecans around so they don't stick to the foil.
  8. Let them cool for a few minutes. You can eat them cold, but they're super-amazing when they're still warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a tip for good service!

Followers