Welcome to the Chic-Peas Kitchen!



We're two best friends, Kelly and Suanne, who love to cook! We have a passion for fresh food, complex flavors, and saving time. We'll share with you what's for dinner (really!) as well as how we made it and how we can make it better.

Jump in and learn with us!

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Ricotta Egg Souffle "Muffins"

I'm pleased to report that I have been much better about my breakfast routine over the last few months. The nut mixes went over well and I enjoyed experimenting with various kinds of muffins. But too much of a good thing leads to bad things, and I needed a change. The muffins were low fat and flavorful, but had more sugar than protein (there are only so many almonds I can cram into a muffin cup). And as the food gurus will tell you, protein is the way to start the day.

Most people do something with eggs for breakfast. There are only a few ways I like eating eggs and unfortunately a poached egg is not a portable food. So when I came across a South Beach Diet forum post about ricotta egg muffins, I was intrigued. I have a lot of ricotta and eggs in the fridge, so this would be a good fit for me. The forum gave directions for a sweet version but a later poster said the savory was the way to go. On top of it, the recipe was super simple.

I decided to experiment and made two kinds. One strawberry cheesecake inspired and one spinach and scallion. To my surprise, the "muffins" came out just like souffle - airy, light, warm, and fluffy. And after they cooled, they actually collapsed into themselves... so if you're making for guests, serve promptly. I was planning on refrigerating mine for the week so I had grab and go breakfasts. I reheated one in the microwave this morning and the spinach was amazingly delicious. I also had a strawberry one, which was good, but not as satisfying as the spinach. Going forward, I'm going to double the batter - two souffles makes one content Suanne. One just didn't cut it.


Spinach Scallion Ricotta Egg Souffle "Muffins"
Makes 12 small souffles (and maybe 6 large ones if I find the right pan)

1/2 cup frozen spinach
1 scallion
4 eggs
2 cups ricotta cheese (drained)
1 teaspoon salt
Sriracha hot sauce to swirl in (optional, but probably why mine are so addicting)

  1. Preheat the over to 400 degrees F.
  2. In a mug, cook the spinach and scallions in the microwave. Squeeze out all excess water. 
  3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and ricotta and salt. Add the spinach and scallions.
  4. Oil your muffin pan with olive oil or spray. Spoon in 2-3 tablespoons of batter per cup. 
  5. Squirt a little Sriracha over the tops and swirl into the top of the souffle.
  6. Bake for 20-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean (Mine were exactly 25 min.)
  7. Use a butter knife to separate the souffle from the sides of the pan before pulling out.
  8. Stores in the refrigerator for about a week. Reheating is optional but 30 seconds in the microwave should do it. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a tip for good service!

Followers