Welcome to the Chic-Peas Kitchen!



We're two best friends, Kelly and Suanne, who love to cook! We have a passion for fresh food, complex flavors, and saving time. We'll share with you what's for dinner (really!) as well as how we made it and how we can make it better.

Jump in and learn with us!

Monday, March 22, 2010

How to Poach an Egg

stalking people on Foodgawker (http://foodgawker.com/?s=poached+egg&cat=0) and seeing the beautiful pics of sunny eggs in their white pajamas made me smile! Now, little known fact about Suanne - I usually HATE eggs. Especially scrambled! But if I can get it fried or poached, well, gosh darn it, its pretty good with salt and pepper.

So today I whipped up some kale and garlic and set a pot of water to boil to poach the egg. Kale came out perfectly! (I've never made it before, but its like any other green veggie. 3 big leaves + tsp butter + 1 clove garlic. Heat butter n garlic first on medium heat, toss in kale when the garlic is fragrant, and sautee until bright green. No longer than that.)

Then the poached egg. How hard could it be? My water is boiling and I drop in the egg and POW! its egg drop soup  - but the yolk is still intact haha. And I'm trying to fish it out after a minute or two with a spatula, which makes it break apart. Where did my slotted spoon go? Silly me. Anyway, its tastes great but doesn't look as cute as I wanted.

So here are the directions for Poached Eggs, stolen from Epicurious



Enjoy!

Sidenote: There is a small risk of salmonella for raw eggs - about 1/20,000. I'll take my chances, but just FYI.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a tip for good service!

Followers